Mindfulness is a way of being aware.
This is another way of saying that you are aware of your thoughts, emotions or experiences on a moment to moment basis.
Oh so, you mean that being in the present moment stuff.
Yes, this is the present moment idea, and you also do not have to be of Eastern principles.
Let’s break this down.
When you are being mindful, you are not practising this every waking moment. That is too much for anyone.
This is about being present in the moment for about 20 mins. I like to say 17 minutes. The human mind is active and focused for about 52 mins max and then needs a break.
The 17 mins can help you be in the moment and voila you are being mindful.
17 Minutes at a Time
Just think, you take a break every 52 mins, and this can provide a way for you to be detached to an outcome. You take 17 mins to practice being aware of your surroundings, feelings and/or emotions.
Poof, you are being mindful.
This helps you relax and restore you.
Re-Train and Re-Wire
First of all, nothing is absolute, and it will take time for you to adjust your brain waves and thought patterns.
Be patient with you.
This is called metacognition and you are re-training your mind.
Yes, you may fail.
So what! Wipe the slate clean and start over.
If you were like me as a child, I was the queen of Do-Over(s). I would calll out Do-Over when something did not go my way or I made a mistake. Poof, it was done, no crying or worrying and I was back at it in no time.
Have you ever read “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert?
There is a scene in the book and movie where the character is trying to meditate. That’s intense meditation. Now, do not get me wrong, I’m not making fun nor putting down this form of meditation. Notice I said form. There are many meditations and meditation forms.
It’s okay to let your mind wander with mindful meditation. This is also not to be confused with Transcendal Meditation which is more of a higher state of being.
Allow you to synergize with you, your breath and your heart beat.
- Sit comfortbly
- Notice your legs. Do you wish for them to be criss cross applesauce? Or if you are sitting in a chair, place your feet on the ground.
- Straighten your upper body to feel comfortable, not super sitff and not slouching.
- Notice your arms. Are your palms facing up or down? Are you resting your hands on your knees or clenching your fists. Please open up your hands and allow your hands to be relaxed.
- Soften your gaze. Do not try to “focus.” Allow your eyes gently close or fall down,
- Feel your breath. Feel your heart beat. They are in sync. Allow the air to flow to and from your mouth and lungs. This helps your heart rythm to remain natural and in a flow.
- Be kind to your wandering mind. If your mind wanders so be it. Sit and notice where your thoughts go. Inhale and as you exhale come back to the present meditation.
- When you are ready to open your eyes flutter them open like a butterfly’s wings.
Magical Blessings Guided Meditation:
Natasha, I would love to learn Mindful Meditation:
Oodles of Love,
Natasha Botkin, Reiki Master, Meditation Teacher & Intuitive Behavioral Energy Healer, is a #1 international bestselling Author and Artist. She uses healing soul psychology energies when working with youth and adults by releasing patterns & blocks to help them empower themselves. Connect with me Magical Blessings Healing Center